Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Language Post

Part 1:

This was difficult for me because i didn't know how to get across what I wanted to say without speaking. It's easy get a yes or no across, but it's hard to explain something without using words. It took a while for my partner to understand what I was trying to say but eventually she got it. 
My partner tried to make her questions as easy as possible. Basically she would explain things as much as she could, narrowing down everything enough so that i would not have to do much explaining. This made my job easier, but it was still difficult.
Obviously the speaking culture has the advantage of communicating complex ideas because they have the ability to use words or terms that those who cannot speak would not be able to use. They might be annoyed because the non-speaking culture may take a long time to communicate, or it may take more effort for the speaking culture to understand what the non-speakers are trying to say. Blind people may have difficulty speaking, and deaf people as well. Usually people who do not have any difficulty speaking will not get into too complex of conversations with these type of people. For blind people, usually its more about describing a lot to them since they cannot see. For deaf people, obviously talking will not work as they cannot hear you.

Part 2: 

Yes i was able to last the full 15 minutes while using only speech for communication. It was difficult only to keep the conversation going because my parter could not speak back to me, so i had to keep it flowing. The fact that i could not use hand gestures or signs did not really affect me. It just made me adjust the way i speak to a more descriptive form so that it was clear enough for my partner to understand me. It would be easier to use signs but not that much easier. Overall i did well with just speaking and making the conversation understandable.
She was not so affected because is good at understanding what i mean. She had trouble replying to me because she could not speak. It was difficult for me to understand what she was saying. 
This experiment proves that it is important to use signs in our language because it makes understanding what a person is saying so much easier. Hand gestures give emphasis and really help get a feeling across.
Yes there are people who have difficulty reading body language. Not everyone is aware of certain things that say what a person is saying or feeling. When people have the ability to read body language, it is good because they can better understand how a person feels or what they are trying to say. I cannot think of any conditions wh

5 comments:

  1. It was interesting to read your post because you did a one-on-one and I did a group of 3. Obviously your partner tried harder to communicate with you since you were the only other person, yet in my group my partners just grew tired of my inabilities and talked amongst themselves. I felt very much like an outsider and feel for those who do lack the ability to communicate. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why couldn't your partner speak during the second experiment?

    You say that there are individuals who have difficulty understanding body language. Can you think of a specific group that has a physical condition that makes this especially diffficult?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that the speaking culture would be able to address more complex ideas and explain how they feel in a more descriptive way, rather than the hand gesture culture. I found this assignment difficult as well just because I am so used to using hand gestures and speaking! I found it more difficult for the part 2 assignment and I ended up only lasting like 8 minutes or so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you did good with this assignment, but on the second part I thought the partner was able to speak. Also, blind people may not be able to see but they still have feelings and can hold a conversation with another person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey martin we all had a hard time communicating in this assignment, and I myself had a hard time communicating. But I like how you said its important to use signs in our language, I agree with that there a lot people cant speak, hear, understand body language therefore they rely on pictures, writing to communicate.

    ReplyDelete